As of April 1st, 2019 ICBC has changed their policy regarding physiotherapy treatments after an accident. Here are some common questions and answers that we hope can help with your rehabilitation.
WHAT IS THE NEW POLICY?
- For any accident that has occurred after April 1st, you are entitled to accident benefits regardless if you are at fault or not.
- ICBC has pre-authorized 25 physiotherapy treatments within 12 weeks of the accident.
- You do not need a doctor’s referral to begin treatment.
- Patients who require hand therapy will need prior approval from their adjuster for additional coverage.
WHAT IS THE COST?
- One initial assessment is fully covered during the length of the claim. Therefore, our Initial One to One Physiotherapy Assessment and Treatment appointment (45 min.) will be fully covered by ICBC so you will pay nothing out of pocket for this visit. During this appointment, your physiotherapist will work with you to come up with a treatment plan.
- ICBC will pay $79 per visit for 25 follow up visits within 12 weeks of the accident. We will directly bill them so you will only be responsible for the remaining balance at the time of treatment.
WHAT IF I NEED MORE TREATMENTS AFTER 12 WEEKS?
- After 12 weeks any new or unused treatments will require approval from your adjuster.
- As you approach the end date of the claim your physiotherapist will assess you for additional treatments. If further treatments are required, we will contact your adjuster on your behalf to seek approval.
WHAT IF MY ACCIDENT WAS BEFORE APRIL 1ST?
- If the accident took place before April 1st we will need direct approval from ICBC prior to starting covered treatment. Please provide us with your claim number and adjuster’s contact information and we can contact ICBC on your behalf.
HOW DO I MAKE AN APPOINTMENT?
Please give the clinic a call to book your initial appointment. We will require the following information to set up direct billing for you:
3) Personal Health Number
4) ICBC Claim Number
5) Accident Date
6) Adjuster’s name and contact information
Call us today at 604-370-1040 or book online through our website empowerphysio.ca. We look forward to assisting you with your recovery!
Empower Physiotherapy Receptionist